Appreciation is a wonderful thing. -Voltaire
Toko Kyudojo is excited to invite you to our 2018 Spring Intensive, “95”. We will celebrate Don: our teacher, supporter, friend, and yumi maker. Don will turn 75 in 2018. It is also an anniversary: the 20th year of Don sharing his spirit, teaching, and practice with us at our annual intensives. To honor these significant milestones, we will forego our customary program theme and focus on kyudo in the context of our long relationship with Don and with each other.
The program will begin Thursday evening May 3 and will conclude at 2:15 on Sunday afternoon May 6. Formal opening and closing demonstrations will frame the program on Friday and Sunday. There will be other formal demonstrations including a Shihobarai. Informal practice will be available Thursday afternoon for early arrivals. This intensive will be a chance to revisit old styles and group shooting forms that many of us only barely remember or have never experienced. It will be a wonderful chance to see old friends, to restart practice (some of you have been thinking about that), or just one more taste. If you no longer shoot, come and spend the weekend enjoying the Spring, walking around, reconnecting, and sitting with us (program fee will be reduced).
For those of you who have never come to “Garrison”, we are in our second decade at the Garrison Institute, a former Capuchin monastery overlooking the Hudson River 50 miles north of NYC; a good place to practice and just to be. The food is good: simple and fresh. We have a warm and dry indoor practice area as well as an outdoor eight person platform.
This program is open to everyone who has taken First Shot. Pre-registration is required. Registration details and costs are on the registration form or can be found on our web site. Please register early (single rooms and possibly other rooms will be in short supply – it is likely that the institute will be fully booked) by mail or online at tokokyudojo.org. We will send an email confirmation and additional program details later in the spring. Mail Registration is open now. On-line registration will open on Dec 26th.
Toko Kyudojo offers scholarships to help practitioners attend our programs. This year we will offer 15 scholarships in the amounts of $175 and $300. Scholarships will be offered on a first come, first served basis. If interested, please contact us at email@example.com and indicate the amount you are requesting.
We are always pleased to accept contributions to the Scholarship Fund, large or small. Contributions are fully tax-deductible. Please send a check payable to Toko Kyudojo, Inc. or visit the donate page of our website: tokokyudojo.org. If you have equipment that you no longer use, we will gladly accept it as a tax-deductible donation. Our next Scholarship Fund benefit auction is planned for 2019.
Given that this program is honoring Don and our individual connections to him and each other, we are looking for any good photos or videos. Images are a great way for us to recollect our shared experiences. Please send what you have, even if you cannot attend. Everyone will appreciate this.
All of us at Toko encourage you to join us in this unique opportunity to come together – to practice, connect, remember, and enjoy.
There are a limited number of singles and triples at Garrison Institute. Please put your request in early, we will do our best to accommodate your preference. Single rooms are available on a first come first served basis, with priority given those attending the full program. All prices are listed in USD.
- Single room: 3 nights + meals $480 facilities fee + $160 program fee…$640.00
- Double room: 3 nights + meals $420 facilities fee + $160 program fee…$580.00
- Triple room: 3 nights + meals $360 facilities fee + $160 program fee…$520.00
- No lodging: 3 days + meals $270 facilities fee + $160 program fee… $430.00
2 nights options: May 4th - May 6th.
- Single room: 2 nights + meals $320 facilities fee + $160 program fee…$480.00
- Double room: 2 nights + meals $280 facilities fee + $160 program fee…$440.00
- Triple room: 2 nights + meals $240 facilities fee + $160 program fee…$400.00
- No lodging: 2 days + meals $180 facilities fee + $160 program fee…$340.00
Single day + meals $ 90 facilities fee + $90 program fee…$180.00
We are offering a special discount for Canadians who would be discouraged from attending this program due to the exchange rate. This discount does not disqualify you from receiving scholarship funding and we encourage you to request a scholarship if needed. This being said, if you can pay the regular cost, please do so.
Full program Canadian discount:
- Single room: 3 nights + meals $480 facilities fee + $160 program fee…$525.00
- Double room: 3 nights + meals $420 facilities fee + $160 program fee…$475.00
- Triple room: 3 nights + meals $360 facilities fee + $160 program fee…$425.00
- No lodging: 3 days + meals $270 facilities fee + $160 program fee…$350.00
2 nights option Canadian discount: May 4th - May 6th.
- Single room: 2 nights + meals $320 facilities fee + $160 program fee…$395.00
- Double room: 2 nights + meals $280 facilities fee + $160 program fee…$360.00
- Triple room: 2 nights + meals $240 facilities fee + $160 program fee…$328.00
- No lodging: 2 days + meals $180 facilities fee + $160 program fee…$290.00
Single day + meals $ 90 facilities fee + $90 program fee…$150.00
Questions or comments? Please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org .
We look forward to seeing you along the Hudson River this spring.